We recommend the following professionals based on our observations, personal knowledge and client feedback. We make no claims about their rates, current certification, licensing and insurance. We advise you to get several estimates before selecting a professional for your job.
Please let our staff know about your experience with any of these professionals. Your feedback will help us keep this list up-to-date.
- Tree Planting and Care
- Garden Services
- Sidewalk Repairs and Cutting
- Tree Stump Removal and Grinding
- Legal Services
Tree Planting and Care
- Bartlett Tree Experts, 415-206-0790
A national company offering scientific tree care, any size tree, including pruning, planting, removal, root pruning and consultations.
- Christopher Campbell Tree Design, 415-239-6100
Services include structural pruning, tree shaping, crown reduction, young tree training, view pruning, risk & hazard reduction, as well as root pruning, stump grinding, planting, and removal if necessary. As a Certified Arborist and ISA Qualified Tree Risk Assessor, Christopher Campbell Tree Design also provides Arborist Reports, Tree Protection Plans and Consultations.
- City Trees, Alex Thomas, Certified Arborist, 415-626-8535
City Trees offers tree pruning for health, beauty, and safety. City Trees specializes in tree planting, restoration, and removal in Alameda, Marin, and San Francisco counties.
- Davey Tree Experts, Adam Jensen, 707-527-3042
A national company able to care for and manage any size tree including pruning, planting, removal, root pruning and consultations.
- Mr. Prune Tree Service, Christopher Ingram, 415-786-5725
ISA Certified arborist, specializing in aesthetic pruning and all phases of tree care, including planting and structural training of young trees, fruit tree pruning and rehabilitation of abused or neglected trees. Special interest in pruning of Japanese maples and black pines. Consultation services as well.
- Tree Shapers, Phil Danielson, 415-239-2420
- Trees Company, Christopher Altman, 415-786-0464
ISA Certified and BA in Visual Art from Bowdoin College. Any size trees. Fine pruning to create layers, increase light and enhance views. Skilled at natural flow pruning, restoration, and shaping. Also available for planting, removals, and landscaping. Reduced rates for fixed-income households and community groups.
- City College Horticulture Department, 415-239-3236 (Leave message in the general voice message box.)
You can hire a horticulture student for small garden jobs.
- Earthly Delights, Michael Hemes, firstname.lastname@example.org
Provides environmentally sustainable garden design, installation, maintenance and Japanese-influenced aesthetic pruning services for residences and commercial projects.
- Mandeville Garden Company, 415-626-6243
Bay friendly landscape design and build. Also, organic and poison free garden maintenance, with pleasant skilled crew.
- Organic Mechanics, 415-567-6367
“All landscapes are undertaken with sustainability in mind, and we find creative ways to use recycled materials.” Integrated pest management, organic methods, and utmost care in maintenance.
Sidewalk Repairs and Cutting
- List of concrete contractors, courtesy of San Francisco Public Works
Tree Stump Removal and Grinding
When planting a new tree in the same spot, the stump of the previous tree must be ground to a full 2 feet below the surface.
- Christopher Campbell Tree Design, 415-239-6100
- Mike’s Stump Removal, 650-368-4535
- Ellyn Shea, Garden Guidance, 415-846-0190
Consulting arborist and horticulturalist: arborist reports, tree protection plans, tree risk assessment. Garden consulting and education: sick plant diagnosis, pruning tutorials, garden coaching. Professional training: Certified Arborist exam prep and beyond.
- Josiah Clark, Habitat Potential, 415-317-3978
Josiah Clark is a Consulting Ecologist whose work is grounded in careful observation, case studies, reference sites, local knowledge and a passion for maximizing biological productivity. He’s an expert on the urban-wildlife interface. He also leads international birding tours, teaches urban youth in environmental stewardship, and writes on environmental issues.
- Barri Kaplan Bonapart, Bonapart & Associates, Sausalito, CA 415-332-3313
Ms. Bonapart is one of the Bay Area’s most knowledgeable practitioners in the area of tree and neighbor law. Specializing in both law and mediation, Ms. Bonapart works on complex commercial litigation, tree and neighbor law. Her clientele includes local businesses, tree care companies, professionals, and property owners.
- Dennis Yniguez, Tree Decisions, Berkeley, 510-649-9291
Dennis Yniguez is a Registered Consulting Arborist/Attorney and maintains an arboricultural consulting firm named Tree Decisions in Berkeley, California. In addition, Dennis has served on the faculty of the American Society of Consulting Arborists (ASCA) Academy for the past eleven years.